[OT] difference of Scripting and programming

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 24 10:42:15 UTC 2005

Nathaniel Hall wrote:

>> The confusion between "what is scripting" and "what is programming"
>> rises from the different levels in the set of activities called
>> "programming".
>

> My personal thought is that programs are compiled prior to the user
> executing it.  A script is compiled at the time it is run.  Is that a
> good way to differentiate them?

Back when I was using CP/M-86 I had both Microsoft's basic interpreter
and Microsoft's basic compiler.

Even earlier, there were various PL/1 compilers and interpreters available.

How could a source file be a program to one, a script to the other?

Look more to what these programs do: if they principally run a sequence
of *x commands I'd classify them as scripts (in the *x environment).

Even then, if I took this:
#!/bin/bash
rsync --times --perms --recursive --timeout=3600 $@

and coded it into equivalent C using the system() function, I'd be hard
pressed to explain why the C program isn't a script:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait