GNOME via remote X server - slow root window redraw

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Tue May 24 11:20:33 UTC 2005

Hi.

I though I might forward a question of mine that got no response on the
mailing list:

> Another thing I thought would be fun to try on my new Mini Mac: I'm
> logging into GNOME on my FC3 box via XDMCP (on the Fedora host) and 'X
> -broadcast' (on the Mac.) This actually works rather well. One problem,
> though: Full root window redraws are very slow. This leads to annoying
> delays on greeter display, login and also when the logout icon is
> selected (because of the display "gray-out" operation, I guess.)
>
> Any advice?
>
> BTW, it seems to me that that X is faster than VNC for *most other*
> operations...
>
> - Toralf

Actually, the problem could be that the connection just isn't fast
enough for smooth image data display; I'm using an 11Mb wireless link,
which I now think is quite a bit slower in real terms even than 10Mb UTP
Ethernet. However, the operation is just as slow with a plain-colour
background as it is when using an image. Does this mean that raw pixel
data is sent to the display even in the former mode? Why?

- Toralf