Scripting question, [small programming question

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 24 11:22:25 UTC 2005

Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:33:18AM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 08:33 -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
>>
>>>This isn't a programming question.  Its a scripting question.
>>>

>>Jeff
>>
>>This is definitely a scripting question.  However, to correct your
>>terminology, scripting *_is_* programming.
>

> Good, then the terms are completely interchangeable:
>
> Can you write a Fortran script? Or an assembly language script?
> How about a C++ script?

Your logic has failed, and you're making yourself seem foolish.
p->q does not mean
q->p

As someone else said, scripting is a kind of programming.

>>Shell scripting is programming in an interpreted language, as is perl,
>>python, and and many other languages.

Intepreters exist for fortran, PL/1, COBOL, Java is an interpreted
language though compilers for (much of) it exist. I don't think anyone
would say that Java programs are scripts.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait