Comparing 2 Files for differences

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue May 24 12:33:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:47:15PM +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> thanx Alexander. The below is what I got. Does this mean there are no
> noted differences.? Cheers.
[...]
> [root at localhost php]# diff -a /usr/local/lib/php.ini
> /home/coolboarderguy/downloads/php/php.ini.backup
> [root at localhost php]#

Yep. I personally find the 'diff -u' format to be the most readable. And if
you're a visual person aided by differences in color, you may want to
install colordiff from Fedora Extras (cdiff in current FE, colordiff in the
development branch). It's a filter for the output of diff that adds in
helpful coloring changed lines appear obviously different.