linux rescue

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue May 24 21:15:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:38:07PM +0100, Kai Zhang wrote:
> Hi
> i'm installing the FC3 on my PC (PIII 500 384M two harddisks). Primary
> one is xp 8G, secondary slave is FC3 10G with 800M swap.
> Installation seems successful.
> FC3 boot up the first time, PC restarts itself when showing GRUB loading stage2.
> I did memtest86. Memories look fine. Linux rescue, showes all Hard
> disks are there. FC can be mounted on /mnt/sysimages.
> The only problem I can think of is that FC3 is not installed on a
> primary partition.
> Could this be the reason of the problem? Any solutions?
This is a well known problem. Use the rescue disk so you can chroot to your root
partition. Then install grub by the following steps:
grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Change arguments  from (hd0,0) is you root partition in not /dev/hda1. I assume the
error you are talking about is that grub says it can't find stage2.

Avoid cliches like the plague.  They're a dime a dozen.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.