up2date in enterprise environment?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 24 21:49:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 09:07, John Summerfied wrote:
> > But you have no way of controlling what updates are released, so it
> > doesn't meet the third requirement.
> >

> the third requirement was not "what updates are released" but rather "to
> which servers."
>
> That's addressed by being selective in where one performs the updates.

There is still the issue that if you update one machine for testing,
then proceed with the production machines, there is no way to be
sure that the remote repository will still contain exactly the same
thing unless you mirror it locally - or pay very close attention to
list that yum is offering to install.  The last time I brought this
up I had a few responses with ways to generate a list of rpms installed
on one machine, complete with version numbers that you could supply
to yum on another machine to make it load exactly the same thing even
if a newer update had become available in the repository.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com