grub problem - please help! (SOLVED)

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Wed May 25 14:07:37 UTC 2005

Around about 23/05/05 16:26, Neil Bird typed ...
>   Essentially, if I boot of a CD with grub on, I get the menu OK, but
> trying to actually bot gives me 'error 25: disk read error'.  Hitting
> 'c' for the command line and typing the commands in the grub.conf
> verbatim (below: root/kernel/initrd) followed by 'boot' works though.

   Well, not 'solved' so much as 'worked around'.

   The command that causes the bizarre difference is 'splashimage'.
Although this works itself, it causes the menu to fail (but allowed the
command line to work).  So I removed it.

   I actually go with the following, as I installed grub onto /dev/hda5;
  I left the splashimage in the main HD grbu install, as it makes no
difference there:

default 0
timeout 4

title Linux