Scripting question, [small programming question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:46:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 09:12, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:02:43AM -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > As to your comments above, Les, I have been doing some research and reading,
> > and had decided to work on Bash and Python. I'm currently reading a book on
> > Bash, and I bought one yesterday to introduce myself to Python. I had started
> > to work on Perl a few years ago, but never could get the steam up to really
> > get a grip on it. Lately, I've come up with comment after comment in my
> > research/readings on this subject, many by Perl programmers who've been doing
> > it for years, about the virtues of Python.
> > What do you guys think?
>
> Honestly, I think Python's main drawback is the vitriol many Python
> advocates show for Perl. They're both great languages for what they're good
> for.

One thing that you have to give credit for is that in programming
from perl versions 1 through 5, there has only been one syntax
change that required modifications of old scripts to run in newer
perl versions, and that was when perl 5 started to interpolate @var
in double quoted strings.  By contrast, I only use a few python
programs and have had them break regularly with updates to the
interpreter, although the rabid Python advocates also like to
pretend this doesn't happen.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at futuresource.com