Best partitioning?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:18:43 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, Gerald Thompson <geraldlt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On my first go with LVM, I created the hda1 - /boot - 250 MB, the rest
> was all LVM.  I am thinking that my mistake may have been to put swap in
> LVM, perhaps I should have kept swap and /boot both out of LVM.

Hmm.  I always put swap inside LVM too with no problems.
Are your problems perhaps really more fundamental, such
as LBA mode on the hard disk?

When you built the "bad" system, did you try booting into
single-user mode?

The Disk Druid partitioning tool, while not perfect, still should
work fine and result in a very bootable system.

Also, when you "wipe" the drives to do a fresh install, did you
also delete and then recreate the LVM partition?  Because the
current LVM is actually version 2, and the layout is different than
the old LVM1 version.  The installer usually upgrades any LVM1
partitions to LVM2 without problem...but just in case you did have
an old LVM1 and it couldn't upgrade to LVM2; deleting all the
partitions and then recreating new ones should make sure that's
not an issue.

If nothing else you can always wipe the drive the forceful way;
boot into Linux (or the recovery disk) and do something like,

   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512

**Warning, that will delete EVERYTHING on the hard drive!
--
Deron Meranda