Fedora List content, guidelines and antispam

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Wed May 25 21:48:23 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 09:39 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> > I've been perusing my mail logs and I see mail, some from fedora-list,
> > being declined for these reasons:
> > 1. Encoded bodies
> > 2. Non-roman character sets
> > 3. being called Peter Whalley
> >
> > 1. As most experienced list members prefer plain text, I don't
> > understand the need for base64-encoding of bodies. The only purpose it
> > serves that I know about is to attempt to subvert mail filters. I figure
> > if you don't want me to filter on content, I don't want your email.
>
> Fair enough. Base64 encoded plain text goes straight to the bitbucket on
> my system too, except for mailing list messages, which are all
> whitelisted.
>
> > 2. Non-roman character sets implies the mail's not written in English or
> > any of the other European languages. If anyone writes to me it better be
> > in English because my French hasn't seen much practice since I completed
> > school 40 years ago, and I know no other languages, and English is in
> > any event the standard language for this list. Bouncing mail using
> > non-roman character sets means I get to not see lots of Chinese,
> > Japanese and Korean spam.
>
> It also means you'll get not to see lots of mail in English from people
> whose first language is something that needs a different encoding hence
> their normal mail setting is for other character sets. They don't change
> character sets to send messages in English because it's a hassle to do
> so and there's no need, since the characters needed to communicate in
> English are also present in their default character set.
>
> > 3. I think we discussed this enough some time ago. The filter dropped
> > quite a deal of email.
>
> I never saw a Peter Whalley bounce because my mailserver rejects
> uol.com.br mails on the basis of that domain having no working
> postmaster address.
>
> > I'd like the folk who're compiling the guidelines to add the first two
> > points, and ask the list admin to enforce it. Along with any other good
> > ideas these suggestions trigger.
>
> I'd hope that the guidelines are well peer-reviewed so that problematic
> suggestions such as (2) can be weeded out before they're cast in stone.
> Whatever anti-spam measures Red Hat have in place for this list already
> seem to work *very well*, given the almost entire lack of spam on this
> list (the "computer for sale" message earlier today was one of the very
> very few that got through, and that wasn't a classic mail-to-all-and-
> sundry spam either), and I don't see any urgent need to change that.
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> --

Paul,

The guidelines are "peer-reviewed", or whatever comes closer to this:
suggestions only get there after discussed here, and *if* there is
some sort of consensus about it.

Point (1) has been seconded by you, I assume. Point (2) had two
negative answers so far. Let's wait to see how this develops...

Gustavo Seabra                                           Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.                                   Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680
Say NO! to software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com