How to turn sendmail authentication off

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 26 00:42:27 UTC 2005

Cameron Beattie wrote:
> OK thanks. I am getting a message  "[127.0.0.1] did not issue
> MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA" in my maillog. I thought that
> was authentication related but perhaps it isn't. Any ideas what may be
> causing that?

Making a connection to the SMTP server and close it without actually
sending a message will generate that message.  Do you have something
like BigBrother or other monitor program running?  Those usually check
the port by connecting and disconnecting, something like

	telnet localhost 25
	(verify you get a signon message)
	quit

Since no "MAIL FROM" or "VRFY" or "ETRN" command was issued (in other
words, a real mail command of some sort), you get that message.

If you get a ton of them, someone's probing to see if you are an open
relay.  If you only get one a minute or so, it's probably OK to ignore
it.
-  You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.  -
-                                                -- Chuck Yeager     -