Best partitioning? - Comments and question

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu May 26 04:42:40 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, Truls Gulbrandsen <trulsg at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hi,
> thank you all for help and input.
>
> I did the following:
>
> the new HD, a Samsung SP2014N installed in an IBM PC300PL 6862-V20
>
> After installing the HD I checked the BIOS configuration and saw that
> the PC only recognized about 8,6 GB.
>
> Well, could not figure out how to make the PC "see" the whole HD so I
> continued to install FC3.
>
> I used diskdruid and partitioned as follows:
> /dev/hda1:  /boot  251MB
> /dev/hda2:  LVM PV 190529MB
>
> hda2:
> /var    50016
> /       10016
> swap    4000
> /home   89608
> /usr    35008
> /tmp    2010
>
> ~From what I can see I miss about 8 GB.
>
> When rebooting I get the following error message:
>
> 1880 PCI/PNP Error
> PXE M04
>
> Then it looks for Network startup and after a while finds FC3 and boots.
>
> Could it be that there is a hidden partition on the HD that diskdruid
> did not see and format?
>
> Any suggestions anyone?
>
> Regards,
> Truls

This is a 200 GB disk right?  Then you are not missing any space.  The
disk drive manufacturers say that 200 GB means about 200 billion
(200*10^9) bytes, but in computing, when dealing with memory and disk
space, 200 GB means 200 * 2^30 bytes since it is easier to work in
powers of 2.  200 billion bytes is actually about 190735 MB
(200,000,000,000 / 1024 / 1024), which is actually a little less than
your total.  It's a nasty trick they play to make you think you are
getting more space than you actually are.  You will see this with
other products as well.  I just got a "512 MB" PNY SD card that is
actually 488 MB.  Fortunately, memory will always be in powers of 2,
so you get what is advertised there.  So you are using all of the disk
that you have, sorry.

Jonathan