Pilot sync/usb question

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu May 26 07:04:07 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 20:05, William W. Austin wrote:
> I *know* I had this working earlier but after a disastrous series of
> updates with a corrupted filesystem and a complete reformat/reinstall
> (someone decided to upgrade *everthing* for me when I wasn't around and
> so I got to clean up the machine), I can no longer get a palm pilot to
> hot sync.  (luckily apcupsd finds the ups ok, so I know the usb
> subsystem is working properly.
>
> Usbview shows the device is there and that palm is connected, and the
> modules are loaded properly, but neither kpilot nor jpilot can find the
> dev.  The main problem is that I can't figure out (or find) the correct
> device any more.  I have tried RTFM'ing, but haven't found it so far.
>
> Any pointers, how-to's etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Try creating the following file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules

with this line for content:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="pilot"
richard at SEAMUS: /etc/udev/rules.d

Technically, this is supposed to be sufficient, but I couldn't make it work
unless I added this file as well:

/etc/udev/permissions.d/10-udev.permissions

with this line for content:

pilot*:root:usb:0666

--
Richard S. Crawford