Pilot sync/usb question

Serge de Souza serge.de.souza at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:19:30 UTC 2005

> Try creating the following file:
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules
>
> with this line for content:
>
> BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="pilot"
> richard at SEAMUS: /etc/udev/rules.d
>
> Technically, this is supposed to be sufficient, but I couldn't make it work
> unless I added this file as well:
>
> /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-udev.permissions
>
> with this line for content:
>
> pilot*:root:usb:0666

The visor.rules should be sufficient and is what I am using. The
setting of permissions is then handled by /etc/security/console.perms

I think the problem may be that console.perms has
<console>  0600 <pilot>      0660 root.uucp

If you logged in through a graphical prompt (gdm or whatever) try
changing that line to
<xconsole> 0600 <pilot>      0660 root.uucp

Normail operation should be :

* plug in pilot device via usb
* start hotsync on device
* device is detected and stuff is printed in /var/log/messages
* /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/tty/USB0 and /dev/pilot are created and are owned
by currently logged in user and with permissions 600

Serge