phishing emails

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Thu May 26 14:55:40 UTC 2005

> hi community,
>
> I must warn you that somebody uses the fedora mailing lists
> to get email
> adresses and to send them phishing emails. I recieved a html
> mail with a
> fake ebay login which links to
> http://140.121.196.32/phpBB2/db/index.html
>
> do not enter your email login
>
> regards,
> vassilios kotoulas

There are a bunch of ways to collect emails.  In some cases, just
visiting a site can expose your email address.  You can attempt
to be very careful with your email which makes extra work and limits
your use of the internet or just filter the junk and laugh at the
ones which get through.

I suspect that no one on this list is likely to be fooled by the
"Please send me your login and password" phishing emails.

Robert Styma