meta keys?

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu May 26 15:52:36 UTC 2005

In redhat releases and in other operating systems, a default xterm
window will provide me with a shell wherein <alt>-<delete> will backward
delete a word, <alt>-b, will move the cursor backward a word, <alt>-f
will move forward a word, etc.  That is, emacs editing mode works and
acts on the meta keys.

This doesn't work on fedora core 3, at least not out of the box.  Can
anyone explain to me what I need to do to get my meta key editing back,
please?  Or point me to relevant documentation that might help me figure
out what's going on?

I'm going fugbuck trying to type whenever I sit down in front of a
fedora box.

--rich