vpn

Crisler, Jon JCrisler at corvis.com
Thu May 26 16:24:36 UTC 2005

You may have to use the software that is provided by the VPN solution on
the server, so your question needs clarification:

1) Is the VPN software only running on the server?  In that case, you
can use VPN software from any vendor that supports the sw/server you are
using, but normally you would run a matching vendor (i.e. MS VPN to MS
Server).

2) Is the VPN solution in the form of a hardware or firewall device,
perhaps from Cisco, Nortel, TIS etc.?  In that case, you normally would
run a matching vendors software component, such as Cisco's VPN package
for Linux to a Cisco VPN Concentrator.  I don't have a lot of experience
in interoperability in this area: I take it on faith that there is
little to none.  IOW - if you have a Cisco hw product, you are required
to use a Cisco VPN sw package.

For those with more VPN experience than I, I would love to hear some
comments on interoperability.