nForce 4 Kernel Panic (DMA Problems)

Nathaniel Husted nhusted at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:46:56 UTC 2005

The intriguing thing is that the only time errors occur in windows is
using nvidia's own IDE driver. The system is rather stable if I keep
the default windows drivers. Now, I wasn't to suprised about this
because supposely that driver has had major issues in many different
cases. I'll be working on troubleshooting if it is a disk problem when
I image the linux drive on a different computer (or at least try).

I rather sure that the PSU is popping out enough power (occording to
the mobo manual the 24 pin connector from the psu should work fine in
the 26 pin power slot on the motherboard).

The support folk at Monarch Computer Systems (the folks I bought the
motherboard from) have said they've heard issues with the ata
controller that MSI uses to make the board but they didn't suggest
sending it back in... so I might have to twist some arms for that. I
am personally not looking forward to sending it in myself but I might
just have to.

I was hoping I might just need to recompile the kernel and enable a
couple options or it just wasn't supported yet. This just happens to
be one of the most confounding computer problems I've run in to in
quite a while.