Kernel problem - was Re: Disappearing USB mouse

Botond Kardos Botond.Kardos at essnet.se
Fri May 27 08:54:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:46 +0200, Matt Florido wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2005 9:07 am, Botond Kardos said:
> >     Hi,
> >     I have a DELL Optiplex GX260 with FC3 and kernel 2.6.11-1.14. My
> > mouse (standard Dell USB->PS/2 mouse) sometimes stops responding and I
> > have to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-F7 to make it work again. This
> > behavior is quite rare normally except during Unreal Tournament where
> it
> > is very frequent (about twice in a minute) and very irritating. I've
> > rebuilt the stock kernel with preemption but there was no difference.
> Of
> > course there's nothing in /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
> Does
> > somebody has an idea what can cause this?
>
> I have the same problem on occasion with a Dell SC420.  Interestingly,
> it
> doesn't occur when I use the ports on the front of my server.  Worth a
> shot if your Optiplex has the same.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Matt Florido

    Well, plugging the mouse into a different slot helps a lot.
Especially when it doesn't share the IRQ with the video card (looking
at /proc/interrupts may help to see shared IRQs). But it doesn't solve
the problem.
    The ultimate solution is to downgrade to any of the stock 2.6.9
kernels. Kernels 2.6.10-1.766 and 2.6.11-1.14 lose the mouse
occasionally.
    Cheers,
    Botond