managing servers...

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri May 27 17:28:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 10:18 -0700, bruce wrote:
> hi..
>
> i'm trying to get my hands around the issue of managing servers. in
> particular, i'm trying to get a better understanding of how people manage
> their servers when it comes to installing/upgrading apps.
>
> i imagine most people simply do the install via rpm/yum/apt-get.. however,
> if you really want to manage multiple servers, you need some way of knowing
> that what you're doing want screw up something else on the server. you also
> need some way of managing the software assets on the different boxes/etc...

Step 1 is to ensure that each server has an MTA and then a transport so
that outgoing mail is routed to the primary MTA.

For example our dns/squid server has postfix installed with a
transport.map that includes tqmcube.com smtp:192.168.0.31 and then
best_mx_transport = 192.168.0.31 and transport_maps =
hash:/etc/postfix/transport.map in main.cf.

This way, you will receive all of the cron mail and you will know what
yum updates each day on each box.

--
Multi-RBL Check:         http://www.TQMcube.com/rblcheck.htm
Kill Spam at the Source: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm