WEB Cam Server

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri May 27 19:46:23 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Amichai Rotman wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >  I would like to setup a WebCam server for a relative of mine who
> > started a kindergarden.
> > He wants to be able to see who is comming / passing outside for
> > security and ID purposes.
> > I thought I could install some WebCam server distro on an old PIII
> > machine, connect a couple of USB WebCams to it, hook it to a broadband
> > internet connection and - presto !
> >
> > I thought it would be cool to offer the parents to take a peek at
> > their kids while theyŕe napping...
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Why not get one of the webcams from D-Link and put it on your network.
> Granted, they're not cheap, but they come with a full HTTP server built
> in.  They even have ones with remote pan, tilt and zoom.  Here's a link
> to one that has all that and is 802.11g to boot:
>
>         http://www.d-link.com/products/?sec=1&pid=411

I recommend this approach (rather than USB) as well. Axis is another
vendor, that has been in the market longer, I think:

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_221/index.htm

They have somewhat different capabilities from the D-Link models, it
looks like. For example, the one above is not wireless, but it does
power-over-ethernet (and you need power somehow).