WEB Cam Server

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat May 28 02:50:56 UTC 2005

At 5:28 PM -0400 5/27/05, Rodolfo Alcázar wrote:

>Hi. Maybe I could be wrong on some aspects, installed a webcam server
>long time ago.
>4) A USB cam uses all USB bandwidth from a USB controller (dont
>understand why). You cannot connect two USB cams to a single USB
>controller. MUST have a card with two controllers if want to have two
>cams.

This doesn't have to be true, at least for most cameras, and depends on the
driver.  When I worked for Steve Sisak (Codewell, now IOXperts) writing USB
camera drivers on MacOS, we would usually provide a way to set the
bandwidth, and, in any case, would try to get by on what was available by
using different alternate settings.  I don't know about drivers for Linux.

>If you do not expect quick image changes, the solution is to turn
>cam 1, get the pic, turn off 1, turn on 2, get the pic and so on, but im
>sure its very slow for your needs.

With QuickTime, this was quite slow, but probably still fast enough for one
or two frames per second (total, all cameras).  Might be better on Linux.