colors work for ls, but not in man

linux user linuxusr at cableone.net
Sat May 28 15:38:17 UTC 2005

> I have no colors in man, but do have in ls. For example "ls
> --color=tty" works fine in an xterm and produces colors, but I have
> none in man pages. Since it works for ls I guess it's not xterm
> specific.

I don't believe man pages display color attributes.  If you want nice
formatted color pages, "Ctrl+F2", then type "man:whatever".  You'll get a
nice html formatted man page with links to associated man pages.

> Also, in vi there are colors, but when going into insert
> mode, the line at the bottom that says -- INSERT --  is bold, not
> colored.

-- INSERT -- is the current mode for vim, when it's displayed.  Why do you
need the mode to show up in color?