colors work for ls, but not in man

Daniel Nogradi nogradi at gmail.com
Sat May 28 21:58:02 UTC 2005

> the ls color created by an alias not by your term type + i dont think man show colors...

> I don't believe man pages display color attributes.  If you want nice
> formatted color pages, "Ctrl+F2", then type "man:whatever".  You'll get a
> nice html formatted man page with links to associated man pages.

> -- INSERT -- is the current mode for vim, when it's displayed.  Why do you
> need the mode to show up in color?

Man can be made to display colors instead of the bold and underline
attributes, for example on a RH9 box with the following,

man-1.5k-6
XFree86-4.3.0-2
less-378-7
vim-enhanced-6.1-29

the bold characters are blue, and the underlined stuff is green in
man. And in vi the -- INSERT -- text that indicates that we are in
insert mode, is blue (because it carries a bold attribute). Since I
upgraded to FC3, the colors disappeared from man.

And I also don't quite understand your solution with "Ctrl+F2" (maybe
you have Gnome or KDE in mind? I run neither, only sawfish), but I
wouldn't want to view html pages, the man format is great, the only
thing is that I would prefer to have colors. And also I would prefer
to see the -- INSERT -- text of vi in blue, not bold, but this is a
secondary issue, I'm sure once I manage to get man colorized, it will
turn blue immediately :)

Anyone? Colors in man with FC3?