Core 3 install on sata 8237 disks fails

Kingsley Burlinson kgb at synix.com.au
Sun May 29 01:12:19 UTC 2005

Hi
I have just tried to install fedora core 3 64 bit on a system with via
sata 8237 chipset and sata disk, and it failes 4 times.  I installed an
alternative IDE disk and it worked fine.

After installation from bootable DVD to the sata disk, a reboot fails to
start the secondary install procedures (licence agrrement, date/time,
video setup, user setup etc. The sata install just hangs at this point
after the very first line in boot messages:
Initializing hardware - storage  network  audio   >>> hang
a control c gets past this, but then the disk system is read only and
the boot fails.

I see there was some discussion of this back in January 2004 on core 1
and core 2 - but there still seems to be an issue with installation onto
a sata disk on an 8237 controller.

Have I missed something??
Thanks   Kingsley burlinson