[Fedora] Resizing those partitions!

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun May 29 07:31:15 UTC 2005

On Saturday 28 May 2005 22:37, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     Personally, I would rebuild the system.  Resizing partitions is just
> too risky to deal with.  My servers all have less than 10 G root (/)
> partitions.  The OS really doesn't need that much.  I have /var/log and
> /tmp on separate partitions so the system doesn't come to a grinding
> halt when those fill up without me knowing (4 GB on each should be
> plenty.)  Since you said you won't use /home (as much) or don't expect
> it to fill up, you can keep it small ... OR ... use that as your MP3
> storage.  Whatever you do, I would keep your MP3 storage on its own
> separate partition.  As you noticed, having it as part of /var, you now
> have a full /var and the system will more than likely start generating
> errors because it can't save anything in /var/log.  If you insist on
> having /var/shared/music, have it on it's own little partition (or large
> partition, whatever the case might be.)  This way it can fill up to 100%
> while /var is still able to continue to serve the OS in general.

Heh.  Yes.  Live and learn.  The system stopped delivering e-mail after it was
full of music.  It took me a couple of hours to figure that out.  I ended up
deleting something like 10GB of music files which I had spent the past couple
of days ripping from my CD collection (including -- sadly -- a few Tom Waits
tunes that I can't get anywhere else now).

I think that a separate partition -- /music, I suppose -- is probably the way
to go.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com