How to convert .wma to .mp3 ?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun May 29 09:03:51 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> From my WIndows days I converted alot of my music to wma as it was
> smaller and my mp3 player supported. OSS applications seem not to
> fully support wma (for obvious reasons) most troublingly the wma meta
> data. So I would like to convert select directories of wma to mp3. I
> have mplayer playing my wmas perfectly.
>
> Please advise.
> Thank you.

WMA and MP3 are both lossy formats. converting from one to another tends
to distort the quality of the music. If you want to do it the right way,
record your music it in FLAC format (lossless open source format )  or
Ogg Vorbis - Lossy, better than MP3, open source format and it will play
out of the box in Fedora

regards
Rahul