User Mode Linux on FC3?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun May 29 17:58:17 UTC 2005

At 2:02 PM +0100 5/29/05, Paul Howarth wrote:
>On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 06:10 -0600, linux user wrote:
>> > I would like to install User Mode Linux on my (new) FC3.  I want to
>> > experiment with the Kernel, so probably the distro isn't
>> > important, as long
>> > as it's current.  Googling around, I don't see instructions for doing this
>> > on FC, and most of the instructions and howtos seem rather old.
>> >
>> > How should I proceed?
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand the question, so I'll try to answer it.
>>
>> System Settings
>> Users and Groups
>> Add User
>
>You're right, you don't understand the question ;-)
>
>See:http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/ for information about User
>Mode Linux.

That site seemed to be out of date, and looked to me to be dead, as it's
about the kernel changes required for UML, but AIUI current kernels already
have those changes so I won't need to build a kernel (right away).  Yet
indeed, looking further, there are live mailing lists and I see useful
pointers there.  Thank you.  I have much to do.

>I think Xen appears to be the more modern approach to this.

I don't believe Xen is relevent to what I want to do now.  With UML I can
single-step through the kernel without two-machine debugging.  I can have a
read-only partition with disposable changes, allowing for fast recovery
from screw-ups.  For the sort of kernel fiddling I want to do, UML looks
like the right approach.

In the future, when Xen supports MSWindows, and I have new hardware that
would work with that support, I might like to run both MSWindows and Linux
at the same time.