Installing Fedora 3 on USB Hard disk;

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue May 31 09:25:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 10:17 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Mirco Scaramucci wrote:
> > I have a USB hard drive connected via USB2 port on my Pentium IV 2.6GHZ
> > Dell Optiplex GX270
> > I am tryin gto dual boot with Windows XP at the moment while awaiting
> > Fedora Core 4.
> > Unfortunately Anaconda doesn't seem to be detecting my USB hard disk
> > although during initial graphical boot it does seem to be loading two
> > USB driver of which one is for USB mass storage, which would make you
> > think that it is detecting the external hard disk.
> > Unfortunately when I get tothe stage of having to chooose the hard disk
> > I want to install fedora on i only get the option of the internal hard
> > drive.
> > Has anyone encountered this problem before?
> > Is there any thread on fedora core mailing list where this problem was
> > dealt with. I f so can anyone please send me the link to it?
>
> There's a PDF linked from:
>
> http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/
>
> that will show you how to do it.

Jumping in... Usually I think you need to pass the options linux expert
during the bootup of fedora. IIRC.

But bear in mind that when I played with it in FC2, it can install into
the USB, but can't boot from it. This is partly due to FC not putting
the USB/scsi modules into the initrd.

Hence you may have to hack your initrd.

Search Google, I've got the link from sometime back. (Heck, I even
posted it to the list)

But since this is FC3, this may all just be obsolete.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!