How to *update* a Fedora Core 3 component program?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue May 31 21:33:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:57:52 -0700, Florin Andrei
<florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:

>Your puzzlement is legitimate, given the kind of advice you received.
>
>Here's the procedure (everything needs to be run as root):
>
>1. Do this just once:
>rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY*

Worked without errors... :-)

>2. Then, whenever you want to update the system, do this:
>
>yum update

I tried yum update yum and it worked fine, which it did not before I
had done step 1 above! :-)

>You can update just one package if you wish (albeit it's generally
>better to update everything):
>
>yum update firefox

This also worked fine now, my Firefox is 1.0.4 and running :-)

>To install a package that's not on your system:
>
>yum install package-name-here

Tried this as well as part of the PPTP support install process and it
works without errors after yum update yum.

Thanks for your pointers!

Bo Berglund