OT - Please Help with sane / scanner

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Nov 1 01:24:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:00 -0700, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 November 2005 00:46, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:01 -0700, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi List ;
> > >
> > > I bought a Plustek OpticSlim M12 sheetfeed usb scanner.
> > > If I run sane-find-scanner I see the following:
> > > found USB scanner (vendor=0x07b3, product=0x0412 [600dpi USB Scanner],
> > > chip=GT-6816?) at libusb:002:004
> > >   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> > > supported by
> > >   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
> > >
> > > However if I run scanimage -L I get this:
> > > No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> > > check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> > > sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> > > which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> >
> > It says to run sane-find-scanner.  Did you?
> >
> > > I dont know where to go from here...
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Yes. This is what it reports:
> $ sane-find-scanner
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that
>   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>   # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
>   # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x07b3, product=0x0412, chip=GT-6816?) at
> libusb:002:005
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
> by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
>   # can't be detected by this program.
>
>   # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
>   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
>   # necessary.

The scanner was found.  Now you need to get it functional.

Pay attention to (at minimum) the recommendations by the tools.  Check
devices, permissions, etc. at each stage of the process.  You may need
to create a sym link for /dev/scanner as well.

I have a scanner that is NOT supported AFAIK (last checked a couple
months ago) so I have not even gotten as far as it seems you have, but
from experiences with other devices I know that something as innocuous
as permissions can trip up the best of us.