Security, Hacking & Social Engineering Presentation.

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Nov 1 05:11:12 UTC 2005

At 11:20 PM -0500 10/31/05, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Neil Cherry wrote:
>> Jeff Vian wrote:
>>>>
>>> No one is making you look stupid.  Fishing for assistance this way does
>>> that well enough on it's own.
>>
>> And if he had only googled before he posted he'd know why using
>> Emmanuel Goldstein was a bad choice as his nom du jour (unless
>> he had a radio program but then he wouldn't be asking would he).
>> Of course everyone needs a daily dose of irony. :-) A kind of
>> circular form of irony?
>
>The negative unhelpful attitudes expressed here are not representative of
>most people in the community. For the people who do not wish to help, you
>are just embarrassing the rest of us. Please stop. The original question
>is perfectly fine, and you will surely find people interested in
>discussing this with you.

The guy is a troll.  From the original message:

>To: pen-test at lists.securityfocus.com, vuln-dev at securityfocus.com,
>	pen-test at securityfocus.com, security-basics at securityfocus.com,
>	nmap-hackers at insecure.org, full-disclosure at lists.grok.org.uk,
>	bugtraq at securityfocus.com, security-alerts at linuxsecurity.com,
>	fedora-list at redhat.com

>My name's Luis and I'm a computer science student from Spain.

>--
>Emmanuel Goldstein.
>Room 101, Ministry of Truth.
>W2, London. Oceania.
>--

He's Luis from Spain and also Emmanuel Goldstein from 1984 and 2600, much
fun for the security mavens he's supposedly just solocited help from.

>I'm running
>late so It would be great if you guys could send me some PowerPoint or
>OO-Impress presentations, Pdf documents, or any kind of multimedia
>material

Please do his work for him.

>The topics I'm going to cover, in no particular order, are:
>
>  - Sniffers
>  - Viruses
>  - Port Scanning
>  - Fingerprinting
>  - Unnecessary open ports
>  - Bad software configuration (web servers, databases, mail servers...)
>  - SQL injections
>  - Buffer Overflows
>  - Use of google as a information gathering tool.
>  - Firewalls
>  - DOS attacks
>  - Brute force attacks
>  - Cryptography.
>  - Cross site scripting
>  - Man-in-the-middle
>  - Intrusion Detection Systems
>  - Honeypots
>  - Identity Spoofing
>  - Social Engineering
>  - Gathering information from trash/rubbish
>  - Physical security in buildings.  Access to the building, cable
>sniffing, secure ID's...
>  -  And more....  ;-)

Please do a Master's Thesis lot of work for him.  As others pointed out,
this material can't be covered in only one semester.

But feel free to help him; I'm sure you can afford the time.  Meanwhile,
don't complain that we noticed him for what he is.  And don't complain when
he doesn't actually need the Master's Thesis you make for him.