not able to make xmms

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 13:34:33 UTC 2005

sujit sugathan wrote:

 > i have fc4 installed on my system. i wanted to install xmms onto it .
 > but when i tried to "make" the file there were some errors due to
 > which i couldnt compile the program. anyone please help me since
 > i'm relatively new to linux

As others have said, what you probably want to do is install
xmms from one of the repositories.
# yum install xmms
^(as root) will do this for you.  This is if all you want to
do is use xmms and listen to music.  Also google for
'unofficial fedora faq' for issues related to mp3 files with
the standard fedora xmms.

If you are for some reason bent on building it yourself there
are a stack of dependencies (mainly libraries and header
files which are used when building xmms) you need.  Among
them are _probably_ gtk+-devel, libogg-devel, libvorbis-devel
and alsa-lib-devel, but the ./configure script you run before
doing make will tell you what you're missing.  These can
mainly also be installed via yum, eg.
# yum install gtk+-devel libogg-devel
... etc
You *do not need* those packages unless you are going to be
compiling from source.

(A note on shell instructions notation, because it's an
unspoken convention which might confuse if you're new to
Li/U-nix:
$ something
indicates a line run as a normal user, because this is
what the bash prompt will typically look like.
# something
indicates a line run as root, for the same reason.
It's a bad idea to do everything as root.)

--
imalone