server Crashing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 1 14:11:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:48 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I've run memtest a number of times now.  I've got 2 slots and 5 memory
> sticks.  I've tried all sorts of variants with different sticks in
> different slots, having a stick in just slot 1, having a stick in just
> slot 2, having both slots full etc.
>
> Every time I run memtest86+ I get errors on test 5.  The location and
> number of the errors change as I change configs, but I never get a
> clean test.  I also never get errors on any othe other tests, just
> test 5.
>
> What's the chance that the problem's something other than memory.

It's possible.  Your memory could be bad.  ;-)  It might not be
compatible with your motherboard.  Your motherboard might have a problem
that relates to handling RAM, or the CPU.

> Any ideas what I can try next?

Try your RAM in a friend's box, and memtest86 it in there.  Take it to a
shop, and ask them to test your RAM (though watch that they don't just
put in a PC and see what the BIOS test says).

Cold boot, and skip straight to test 5.  If you don't get errors, then,
it might be a temperature related issue.

Be aware that if you get any errors with memtest86, for whatever reason,
then your system has a problem.

I read messages from the public lists.