[OT] Recommendation for ThinkPad

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 16:14:48 UTC 2005

--- Kevin Kempter <kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com>

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/klee/nix/thinkpad-t42/

> http://statgen.ncsu.edu/~jdstarme/fc4_xp_on_t42.txt
> >
> > and many more pages describing user experiences
> with FC4 and a T42.
> >
> > Jay
> > --
> > Jay Lee
> > Network / Systems Administrator
> > Information Technology Dept.
> > Philadelphia Biblical University
> > --
> >
> > --
> >

> I haven't used a thinkpad in years. However I would
> highly recommend the Sony Vaio VGN-S260. I have FC3
> running on it currently and all the HW works except
> for the built-in memory stick reader. The centrino
> wireless works great with the ipw2200 package and
> the machine runs extremely well. I have it loaded up
> with Informix, Postgresql and a lot of data (>10Gig)
> with no issues so far. I also run open office, data
> architect, and most of the out of the box software.

I've got FC4 running nicely on my hp pavilion zv5440
(similar to compaq r3000). The only hardware troubles
I had were the wifi and scrolling with the touchpad.
Which I now have working. I don't use the modem or
firewire so I don't know about those.