Windows install disc can't see my FC4 partitions

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 1 17:23:37 UTC 2005

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> ----  <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>

> Not sure what this DMA problem you mentioned is. However, have you tried playing your DVD's with xine? I'm been running 100% windows free with minimal issues for a couple of years now.

It is xine that gives me the error message.  I then run xine-check and
it explains further that it is a DMA issue.

The DMA issue with the chip set (ich6) is documented and involves
changes between the SATA and IDE drivers.  At least the way I
understand it.  The latest kernel is so much better than the older
kernel for accessing both the HD and DVD.

{pat on the back to the developers and thank you}

There are some things that I have to try but I need to get access to
the laptop but my wife is using it heavily.  Well it will give me time
to do some further research and who knows, maybe a great fix.

--
Robin Laing