FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Nov 1 17:53:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 10:31 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I like open source, but it should be a matter of choice whether you
> give your work away or not.  We need a way to let them keep that
> freedom of choice while still being able to use their product. They
> are going to a great effort trying to give away free binaries yet
> the OS distribution continues to make it difficult for them.
----
I thought that commitment to open source and not distributing software
with restrictive licensing to be a virtue. That puts pressure on those
who want to come to the dance to dress according to the rules.

I don't want to dis on Adobe/Real Networks/nVidia/ATI/Sun et al. They
have every right to hold on to their source and only distribute binaries
for free as they wish, they just don't get included with source only
distributions.

If third party efforts exist to script the download and install of these
binary only distributions to make life easier for users, then I am all
for it but the distribution itself isn't going to bother with it. I sort
of like the idea of having users take the extra efforts to get the
binary only software installed so they at least recognize that there is
a distinction.

Craig

believed to be clean.