cyber cafe

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Nov 2 02:02:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 00:26 +0100, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A cyber cafe manager is going to renew all his hardware, and he would be
> interested in switching to Linux.
> I would like to introduce Fedora/GNOME to him.
> The only missing thing is the time counter.
> If I could find a "time counter", it would be ok.
> There would be one user per computer.
> All clients coming to the cyber cafe would log in as "computer1" on the
> first computer, "computer2" on the second and so on....
> I could make a script, or anything that would do something (send some
> signal) when the user logs in, and do another thing when he logs out.
>
> So the question is:
> - How to make an executable to run when an user logs in ?
> - How to make an executable to run when an user logs out ?
>
> Using GNOME on Fedora Core.
> Thank you.

If they actually logout it is simple.
you can call a script from an entry in ~.bash_login and ~.bash_logout to
record the data.
Although I have not tested that to verify those scripts get executed
when a user logs in graphically, IIRC they do.

Or you can simply do a "last computerX" when they logout and the time
for each login will be shown. If you have /var/log on an nfs mount to
the workstation but physically on the control station then the
cashier/operator can quickly get the stats. all stations would use the
same data file. (wtmp has that data)

Or the /var/log/ directories from each workstation could be nfs mounted
on the control station and the local scripts there could get the data.

There probably are other options, so look for what works for you.