Problems with automounting removable media

Rasmus Back rasmus.back at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:19:17 UTC 2005

Hi.

In FC3 plugging in a USB thumbdrive worked automagically, the voulme
would just show up on my desktop. I did a clean install of FC4 and now
the same thumbdrive doesn't show up at all. I started hald in verbose
mode, see attached log file for details. Apparently the thumbdrive is
recognized and attached to /dev/sdc, but the final step of mounting it
is not performed. I have checked the option in gnome-volume-manager to
automatically mount removable media.

Are my problems related to the "no runnable
/etc/hotplug/*_device.agent is installed" messages? Hotplug owns
/etc/hotplug and I can't think of any rpms that could be missing.
Googling around there seems to be lots of people with related
problems, but those problems are usually caused by the kernel not
recognizing the drive at all. I can manually mount the thumbdrive, but
then the contents are owned by root and it's a hassle to copy stuff
over. I have a LaCie d2 that has the same problems (regardless of if I
use USB of firewire).

Thanks,
Rasmus