wget not resolving domain names

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Wed Nov 2 16:03:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:08:04PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >; <<>> DiG 9.2.5 <<>> @192.168.0.253 www.uit.no
> >; (1 server found)
> >;; global options:  printcmd
> >;; Got answer:
> >;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 39902
> >;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
> >
> >;; QUESTION SECTION:
> >;www.uit.no.                    IN      A
> >
> >;; ANSWER SECTION:
> >www.uit.no.             10000   IN      A       129.242.5.89
> >
> >;; Query time: 4 msec
> >;; SERVER: 192.168.0.253#53(192.168.0.253)
> >;; WHEN: Tue Nov  1 18:31:51 2005
> >;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 44
>
> Hmm, that's interesting. Your nameserver appears to be returning bad
> data, though curiously the first answer was the right one in this case.

No, I don't think so...  The address returned is the same as in the
first query; the answer is correct.  I believe the reason the data is
different is because the first query showed authoritative data that
the name server looked up, whereas the second query returned
non-authoritative data that the name server had cached.

There seems to be nothing wrong with this -- the client got the same
address in both cases.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/