auto umount usb devices?

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 20:58:52 UTC 2005

On 02/11/05, Robert Locke <lists at ralii.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 12:58 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> > At 1:14 PM +0000 11/2/05, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >how do I configure gnome-volume-manager to auto-umount USB devices when
> > >they're
> > >unplugged?
> > >
> > >I understand that pulling ext2 file systems without umounting is a bad
> > >idea, but it should be feasible with ext3 and vfat file system that
> > >have been mounted synchronously.
> > >
> > >I don't really mind this myself, but I have a hard time explaining my
> > >parents the fine points of (dis)mounting filesystems. I believe
> > >Windows XP handles unplug events automatically.
> >
> > You want the OS to flush its buffers to the disk after the disk is
> > unplugged? Uhh, how?
>
> Never used it, but are we talking about the "sync" or "dirsync" mount
> option here?
>
> --Rob
>
> --

Windows does in fact NOT do this automatically. They display a warning about
not removing the software until you have unloaded it, then you may "unplug
it safely".

They have quite a dialogue system happening about this.

It is easier in Linux: you just click the icon to mount, then click again to
unmount.