Errand Packets outbound?

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 3 01:28:26 UTC 2005

I woke up this morning to find my upload bandwidth saturated. I only
know how to use iptraf so I pointed it to the ppp0 interface.

There was a flood of udp packets going out from my external interface to
FDCServers.demarc.cogentc and FDCServerNet.demarc.coge.

Very weird addresses in other words. This is all iptraf gives me.

Pointing iptraf at the eth0 interface shows no such packets which lead
me to suspect the Linux box is sending them out.

A reboot of the Fedora 4 box stopped the outbound traffic.

I may have been root kitted?

Any ideas?

Regards,
Ed.