httpd: permission denied

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Thu Nov 3 02:46:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Albert A. Modderkolk wrote:

> I get the below error when the first program is executed. randbann.pl is
> 755 and it reads only from a file with ww read access.  Which files are
> used by httpd that could cause this error or what else could cause this?

[snip]

SELinux strikes again. Look in the file /etc/selinux/config for the
SELinux mode setting.

You will probably need to set SELinux to 'permissive' to get your scripts
to execute (you can also try to write a SELinux policy to permit them to
run, but that is likely to be harder to do than you want). You will need
to reboot after editting /etc/selinux/config to make the changed mode take
effect.

You can also do it on a temporary basis for testing without rebooting by
running 'setenforce 0' after using 'su -' to become root (you must do the
'su -' first or it won't work).

See http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/ for full information on SELinux.

--
Benjamin Franz

The designer of a new kind of system must participate fully in the implementation.

                                                          - Donald E. Knuth