still struggling with ndiswrapper

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Nov 3 13:41:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 22:24 -0500, James Pifer wrote:

> > one thing I forget about WEP is putting the "0x"
> > before the hex string. did you do that for wep
> > connection?
> >

> When I tried that I got an error that said:
> Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
>     invalid argument "0x[my key was here]".
>
> I also tried creating a keys-wlan0 file under:
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
>
> The only thing in the file was:
> KEY=0x[my key here]
>
> That didn't seem to work either. Can anyone elaborate on the keys-wlan0
> file? I'll do some googling.

You CANNOT use the 0x there.
the file should contain a line KEY='my_key_here' with the exact
displayed value from the AP in the field above.
IIRC the 128 bit key is something like 28 hex characters, but does not
contain spaces, - signs, etc.
Copy and paste from the displayed value in the AP and it should work

It does for me, with my linksys AP.