Filesystems encoding for removable devices

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Thu Nov 3 14:24:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

How do I setup the filesystem enconding that should be used by udev when
mounting removable devices? I would like to configure my FC4 system to
use ISO-8859-1 when mounting pen drives, card readers or similar
devices, while keeping UTF-8 in fixed disks. That's because I often need
to access at Windows boxes pen drives with files saved in FC boxes and
vice-versa, and accented characters in file names display wrong when the
device is accessed by an operating system which was not the one that
saved the files there.

Thanks,

Marcelo