YUM Parse Error

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Nov 3 14:44:11 UTC 2005

Mark Sargent wrote:

> please, what is causing this error.? Cheers.
>
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up Repos
> addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> dag                       100% |=========================|    0 B    00:00
> //var/cache/yum/dag/repomd.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty
>
> ^
> //var/cache/yum/dag/repomd.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<'
> not found
>
> ^
> Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: dag
> Error importing repomd.xml from dag: Error: could not parse file
> //var/cache/yum/dag/repomd.xml

I'm no yum expert,
but I've occasionally had the above error message (about an empty document)
and I came to the conclusion that it is slightly misleading..

As far as I can see, yum itself creates this file in /var/cache,
and the reason it is empty is that something went wrong earlier.

In my case, I think I got things working by running "yum clean all",
though I may have tried this, which I read about on the net -
there have been quite a few postings about problems
with the dag repository -
=====================================
The fix that worked for me was the flush the up stream proxies (I am
assuming my ISPs), using wget I ran:

wget --cache=off
http://apt.sw.be/fedora/4/en/i386/dag/repodata/filelists.xml.gz
wget --cache=off
http://apt.sw.be/fedora/4/en/i386/dag/repodata/primary.xml.gz
wget --cache=off http://apt.sw.be/fedora/4/en/i386/dag/repodata/repomd.xml
(The first 2 wget lines have been split -
there should be just 3 wget commands.
Also I'm not sure if I had to change those URLs.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366