Semi-OT: VNC Alternatives.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 15:03:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 09:54, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> I'm trying to ease the pain of using Linux.
> If I choose the tunnel-over-SSH with X-forwarding option, the first
> Windows they'll see will be an empty terminal window instead of looking
> at a full-blow-Windows-like UI.
> I really don't want to scare them off.

No, setup scripts to run the programs you want them to run.  When you
execute ssh from the windows system pass the name of the script you want
to run on the linux side.  It will execute the script starting the
program you want and redirect the display back to their windows system.

I'm not running windows on my laptop anymore but have several launchers
(icons) that I can just click to start various applications that
actually run on remote systems.  No need to get a command line window to
start those applications.