Why Fedora ?

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:17:24 UTC 2005

2005/10/28, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net>:
> Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> > from a developers point of view it doesent matter much what you use...
>
>  From a developer? Of Linux? Or of Linux software?

i dont see a big difference between either two besides the fact that
again i dont see where it matters on what distro some dev fires up vim
;) a developer is capable of installing exactly the stuff he wants.

> I disagree with this statement entirely. Fedora Core is not a
> stable release. For that reason, IMO, it is unsuitable for
> doing stable software development.

rawhide is even stable enough for doing development on it.

usually future versions of software are developed versus cvs versions
of librarys especially if theres lib upstream work done aswell.

some developers are pretty happy with vim and a booting kernel aswell
as recent buildtools so fedora in that case provides alot more than
that.

define unstable. it doesent crash for me... if it did id gdb it
(application wise) and i havent seen a kernel panic in ages either.

> OTOH, if one is designing
> commercial software, and wants a test machine or two set up
> the way one projects the world will be when the software is
> ready for release, then one probably needs to have something
> like Fedora core on those test machines.

that makes a nice quote. its pretty obvious to me you dont do
commercial software development.

> > if you identify and report/fix bugs _upstream_ you are fixing the
> > stuff for all distros...
>
> For all *RHEL* distros.

wrong. the core components used in all major linux distros are pretty
much the same software.
kde gnome kernel .. same goes for most of the software in core. most
importantly everything _can_ be used in another distro without
problems. excuse me but... it would make more sense if youd just take
a look at other distros and their components. and also what
with patches happens... they go upstream... once they are upstream
they are everywhere.

> > theres no such thing as "distro wars" with experienced linux users and
> > real open source developers. you seem to be rather new to the world of
> > linux.
>
> Oh yes there are "distro wars". I just don't participate in 'em.

not among real experienced linux users / developers. i have yet to
experience that. sure there are always kids trolling here and there. a
few kids trolling doesent make a war.

> > whide because i like to have a bit
> > more challange and i love helping to make future versions better.
>
> Please don't top post.

i now responded the same way you did... you will see that its not
easier to read than a top post. id even say harder. my suggestion is
to use a better mail client or submit proper feature requests
upstream.