Why Fedora ?

Dan Hensley dan at dshensley.com
Thu Nov 3 16:46:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 17:17 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:

> > > if you identify and report/fix bugs _upstream_ you are fixing the
> > > stuff for all distros...
> >
> > For all *RHEL* distros.
>
> wrong. the core components used in all major linux distros are pretty
> much the same software.
> kde gnome kernel .. same goes for most of the software in core. most
> importantly everything _can_ be used in another distro without
> problems. excuse me but... it would make more sense if youd just take
> a look at other distros and their components. and also what
> with patches happens... they go upstream... once they are upstream
> they are everywhere.

I didn't want to get into this thread, but I wanted to respond to a few
comments.

First, yes most distros use the same core components, but they do not
ship the same VERSIONS of these components.  RHEL tends to lag the
bleeding edge to make sure the versions they do ship are stable.  BIG
DIFFERENCE.

> > > whide because i like to have a bit
> > > more challange and i love helping to make future versions better.
> >
> > Please don't top post.
>
> i now responded the same way you did... you will see that its not
> easier to read than a top post. id even say harder. my suggestion is
> to use a better mail client or submit proper feature requests
> upstream.

Wrong.  It's much easier for someone like me who has largely ignored the
thread to jump in.  I can follow the discussion point by point without
having to read through previous posts that I have deleted.  The only
thing more evil than top-posting is bottom-posting.  Please see

http://www.faqs.org/docs/jargon/T/top-post.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/comics/xbooks/readpost/section-4.html

One thing that is incredibly hard to read is words with missing
punctuation and misspellings.  Missing apostrophes are near the top of
that list (and many are guilty).  Here are a few examples:

dont    -  no such word.  Use "don't".
doesent, doesnt - ditto.  Use "doesn't".
cant    - to tilt at an angle.  "can't" means cannot.
wont    - also means something else in English.  "won't" means "will
not".
its     - Possessive form.  "it's" means "it is".  See
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000227.htm

Obviously non-native English speakers get a lot of latitude here (the
fact that one can converse in English as a 2nd or 3rd language is
commendable), but the native English speakers are frequently the worst
offenders.

Dan