Semi-OT: VNC Alternatives.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:36:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 10:55, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > A related question: is it possible to execute just the gnome menu
> > or task bar in a remote window?  Sometimes I'd like to park just the
> > menu buttons from several different machines on my desktop so I can
> > execute anything/anywhere without having to build launchers in the
> > file systems.  Or is there already a location where nautilus would
> > display this?

> As to executing just the gnome menu/task bar, that might be possible.
> It would have to be tested.  But it might be easier to just write your
> own app that displays a list of programs/scripts that you want to run on
> each system.

The point of wanting the menu instead of some hand-built alternative
is that I want it to pick up new programs as installed without extra
maintenance on every machine.  I think it is odd, given that X has
inherent remote window capability, that the desktop and menu
environments are so machine-centric.  Is there some other way to get
the list of things that automatically install in the menus when
packages are added?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com